If you are wondering how neck and back health can impact your vision, there is a surprisingly simple explanation. Chiropractic care operates with the knowledge that the body is all connected and that optimal health is maintained through whole body wellness. Misaligned vertebrae or impeded nerves can therefore contribute to vision problems, ranging from irregular fuzziness in your eyesight, to minor vision loss following a spinal injury.
At Tannenbaum Chiropractic in Beverly Hills, we take every aspect of your health seriously. Through regular chiropractic care visits at our boutique facility, we prioritize overall function of the central nervous system and can help address vision problems that you may be experiencing.
The Spine Controls Your Nervous System
The spine plays a vital role in maintaining the health of your entire body. The upper back and neck, known as the cervical spine, is arguably the most important stretch of communication highway in the nervous system. When inflammation or blockage affects this area specifically, problems can occur throughout other parts of the body, such as your vision system.
This is because the optic nerve is directly connected to the central nervous system, so any disruption can affect the optic nerve, causing vision impairment. Additionally, our eyes rely on adequate blood flood to get the oxygen they need. When your arteries are restricted by blockage of this natural flow, blurry vision or other eyesight problems may be evident. Targeted cervical spinal adjustments can correct subluxation in the cervical spine, allowing healthy blood flow, along with nutrients and oxygen to the eyes in order to improve vision caused by these issues.
What Kinds of Vision Problems Can Chiropractic Care Improve?
Of course, if you already wear glasses to correct your vision, chiropractic care will not keep you from continuing to see your optometrist. Even so, there are some specific issues that can still be addressed in order to maintain your optic health. Such as:
- Vision problems that occur after an injury, especially neck/spinal injuries
- Issues of blurriness or fuzziness
- Watery or sensitive eyes
- Double vision or tunnel vision
- Decreased eyesight due to illness, such as diabetes or glaucoma
How Chiropractic Care Can Improve Your Eyesight
There are specific ways regular visits to your chiropractor can address vision problems. Chiropractic care works to:
- Regulate blood supply by improving blood flow: The optic nerve needs fluid blood flow and oxygen to function optimally. Restricted blood flow can therefore cause blurriness, depth perception, and other eyesight issues. Chiropractic adjustments can correct misalignments to ensure that blood and oxygen get to the optic nerve to restore vision.
- Improve communication in your central nervous system by restoring nerve function: nerve communication can be disrupted by even the smallest misalignment of your spine. This means that nerve function between the central nervous system and the optic nerve can be adversely affected and cause problems with your vision.
- Reduce the pressure in the eye: For those who suffer from glaucoma, diabetes, or high blood pressure, eye pressure can be a common symptom that without treatment can lead to permanent eye loss. Chiropractic care can help reduce optic nerve pressure by regulating blood flow in the area.
In short, optimal whole body wellness is determined by spinal health and regular maintenance. Because there is a direct connection between your spine, your central nervous system, and optic health, chiropractic care can help to address issues caused by obstructed nerves or stressed vertebrae and help restore your normal vision.
Are you having vision issues caused by poor health or sudden injury? Our expert chiropractic team can help! Call Tannenbaum Chiropractic today to receive a free quote!