For adults, the benefits to regular chiropractic care to ease back discomfort due to aging or work stress may seem obvious. But, what about pediatric chiropractic care?
Chiropractic care for children has a long history of wellness benefits. In fact, according to the ACA, over 17% of all chiropractic patients are under the age of 18—and that number is steadily growing. At Tannenbaum Chiropractic, we understand the unique and plentiful benefits for children visiting a chiropractor and encourage you to consider whole-body wellness for your entire family. Here is everything you need to know about pediatric chiropractic care in Beverly Hills:
What is Pediatric Chiropractic Care?
Approaches to children’s chiropractic visits slightly differ from adult chiropractic care in reasons for visits. As an adult, most issues with spinal abnormalities and discomfort stem from natural signs of aging and degeneration, as well as habits that contribute to back pain and resulting immune deficiency. With children who are still growing, chiropractic care can promote optimal growth and nervous system support through noninvasive, gentle adjustment techniques tailored to each individual child’s spine.
In addition to overall wellness and injury prevention, there are some specifics signs that your child could benefit from a visit to the chiropractor, which include:
- Reoccurring ear infections
- Digestive issues
- Fussiness and irritability
- Breastfeeding concerns
- Trouble sleeping
- Problems concentrating or focusing
- Sports injuries
- Complicated births that may have caused spinal trauma
- Noticeable movement issues such as restricted head or neck movement
- Gait issues or one shoulder higher than the other
- Growing pains
Potential Concerns with Children’s Chiropractic Care
As with all medical and wellness treatments, there is always a general concern about safety when it comes to treating children. As holistic caregivers, we encourage an investigative mindset, and are happy to discuss any potential concerns you may have about pediatric chiropractic care and your child. It is important to note that chiropractic care in children has been a long performed and studied practice, and there is no evidence to support that it is dangerous or harmful. In fact, in a recent study of over 10,000 pediatric chiropractic visits by the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association found very few reports of discomfort or fussiness, and no adverse effects to treatments from the remaining patients.
Benefits of Pediatric Chiropractic Care in Beverly Hills
From colicky babies to older children with issues sleeping, and even as preemptive wellness care for healthy children, chiropractic treatments have shown to provide a variety of benefits for children of all ages. Here are the main reasons cited for taking your child to a chiropractor:
- Promote healthy, growth and development without potential interferences: a child’s nervous system is connected to the spine just like adults—interferences that block the pathways for neurological communication can be equally harmful for a child’s full-body wellness and pain-free spinal adjustments can improve spinal growth and overall health in the same ways it does adults.
- Improve sleep habits and behavioral issues: neurological interferences and spinal discomfort cause interruptions in the sleep cycle, which can cause irritability and behavioral issues in overtired children.
- Treat colicky babies and children with digestive issues: from babies who suffer from colic to children that have problems bedwetting or constipation, these digestive issues are linked to possible spinal misalignment. Improved digestive function can relieve these issues and improve digestive health.
- Limit other health issues in babies and small children that may have resulted from complicated births or problems with nursing and reflux: births with complications or birth interventions such as forceps delivery or c-section can result in spinal trauma. Through gentle spinal manipulation, these traumas can be treated, and further complications evaded.
- Treat gait problems and other issues with abnormal spinal curvature: promotion of optimal growth and posture improvement, as well as relieving growing pains, is especially helpful in children learning mobility, as well as older children with contributing lifestyle habits from school, screen time, or sports.
- Restore health and improve healing after injury: kids get hurt all the time, and especially active children will need injury rehabilitation. Chiropractic treatments are a pain-free, gentle way to heal with longevity.
- To help with breathing issues such as asthma and allergies: just like digestive issues, breathing issues can be a result of spinal misalignment and blockages of neurological pathways. These benefits are similar to adults who report lessened allergies and the ability to refrain from taking medicine for relief.
- Improve the immune system and your child’s overall health and wellness: perhaps the most general benefit to regular chiropractic treatments is the holistic approach to immune system improvement. Strengthening the natural immune system, especially in children with reoccurring issues such as ear infections and colds, can reduce illness and infection through drug-free approach and an embrace of a natural, healthy lifestyle.
Chiropractic care in children has been proven to improve overall wellness and happiness in children of all ages for a myriad of reasons, and we believe regular pediatric chiropractor visits can build a foundation of wellness for your growing child.
At Tannenbaum Chiropractic in Beverly Hills, we understand the importance of happy and healthy children through holistic wellness care. Call us today to schedule an appointment!